18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Calguns Data Migration Round 2 - Aug 3

Take a survey

How long til they come back up?

  • On Schedule - Monday

    Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 1 week

    Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 2 weeks

    Votes: 68 41.5%
  • 2 more weeks!

    Votes: 85 51.8%

  • Total voters
    164
*sigh* I was trying to get to one of the older legal threads/posts I knew existed from Quiet or @Librarian. Can't get there. Some of these historical posts with PC references were a big help to me. It finally finished loading a page after about 120 seconds.

Current load:
There are currently 3171 users online. 171 members and 3000 guests.
 
*sigh* I was trying to get to one of the older legal threads/posts I knew existed from Quiet or @Librarian. Can't get there. Some of these historical posts with PC references were a big help to me. It finally finished loading a page after about 120 seconds.

Current load:
There are currently 3171 users online. 171 members and 3000 guests.

I'm half tempted to just write a script to scrape all the content from all the threads just to have a record of everything in some form or another, but with the current speeds I suspect it'd take years just to get through the first 5 pages.
 
3000 guests sounds very strange. Is it possible the system is being delibrately overloaded?
There's a few things going on. That is one of multiple problems. Before my site came up, the number of active users was 10k its now at 3600. So even though its an issue the reality is the site used to handle more traffic prior to the "upgrade". They've effectively lost 65% of their active users from when the site was begrudgingly slow prior to the migration. Also the number used to be 17k which is still listed. This system is maxxing out currently at 4k.

@DrJonesUSA and his team is going to take a look at it, but even then its likely after he's able to fix the issue. There will be more issues that comes as traffic continues to grow. It's not a one and done, you're signing up to maintain the site.
 
I just feel like I lost a friend there. I appreciate this site ikeo1, nice to see a few familiar faces but it's kind of weird signing on to a new(er) CA flavored site, since I have been a Tennessee resident going on five years. It has taken me over two hours to post twice there tonight, it's not about patience anymore.
 
I just feel like I lost a friend there. I appreciate this site ikeo1, nice to see a few familiar faces but it's kind of weird signing on to a new(er) CA flavored site, since I have been a Tennessee resident going on five years. It has taken me over two hours to post twice there tonight, it's not about patience anymore.
ah a free state
 
There's a few things going on. That is one of multiple problems. Before my site came up, the number of active users was 10k its now at 3600. So even though its an issue the reality is the site used to handle more traffic prior to the "upgrade". They've effectively lost 65% of their active users from when the site was begrudgingly slow prior to the migration. Also the number used to be 17k which is still listed. This system is maxxing out currently at 4k.

@DrJonesUSA and his team is going to take a look at it, but even then its likely after he's able to fix the issue. There will be more issues that comes as traffic continues to grow. It's not a one and done, you're signing up to maintain the site.
IIRC, an 'active user' is one who has logged in within the last 30 days. Can't discount that user-hostile performance has prevented or discouraged a lot of members.

So, of course you should spend your time making money, but if you have time, would you please speculate aloud what your experience tells you is going on?

I get databases (worked for Ingres, Sybase, Informix); I don't get forums, and load balancing, and splitting functions among servers, and costs to do any of that.
 
I'm half tempted to just write a script to scrape all the content from all the threads just to have a record of everything in some form or another, but with the current speeds I suspect it'd take years just to get through the first 5 pages.
You could try that, although I suspect the 9th circuit could generate a case enbanc that would be finalized faster. We should take bets that my friend who just applied with LASD for his carry permit will get it before Calguns ever gets fixed. At the current rate, that could be up to thirty months.
 
IMHO, that's a symptom but not the cause. It's using all available resources but a few things need to be optimized on both software, hardware, and os. I have a list of tasks ready to go, should I get the call. lol. I'm really hoping CGN reaches out. I estimate i might be able to get things stable in 1-2 days while i plan a migration. It wouldn't take long considering i'd prioritize it given the climate. It's just a matter on getting my hands on the data.


I mentioned last year or very early this year that Kestryll is in waaaaay over his head but is either tryng to do this on the cheap or is too stubborn to say "I'm in the weeds and need help". And that, the longer this goes on, the worse it is for the site, for the legislative presence, and for the community as a whole. I can't imagine how many folks have just completey moved on by now, assuming the site is f*cked and won't be fixed.

It's stupid, it's selfish, and it's childish to let this keep going this long. I've watched too many forums full of amazing people and incalculable knowledge lost because the person in charge didn't know when it was time to 💩 or get off the pot.

I've seen this story, I know how it ends. Hopefully, just this once, the guy at the top does the right thing. But somehow, I doubt it.
 
I'm half tempted to just write a script to scrape all the content from all the threads just to have a record of everything in some form or another, but with the current speeds I suspect it'd take years just to get through the first 5 pages.

You might consider doing this and keeping it in your back pocket for when there's a window of functionality. Because unless someone takes over who has the time, resources, and desire to keep the trains running on time, all that knowledge will be lost.
 
You might consider doing this and keeping it in your back pocket for when there's a window of functionality. Because unless someone takes over who has the time, resources, and desire to keep the trains running on time, all that knowledge will be lost.
It'll be slightly out of date, but you can do most of that with the Internet Wayback Machine now - http://web.archive.org/web/20240000000000*/calguns.net
 
I think Mr. Kestryll was depending on the "expertise" of the VBullitin folks and whom ever gave advice on the server size initially. So I cannot place all the blame on Mr. Kestryll.

Just an opinion

Respectfully
Kyle
 
last 3 days i cant even get one search in, once it came up but then i couldnt even click on the link. its still 100% not working, maybe in the middle of the night
 
last 3 days i cant even get one search in, once it came up but then i couldnt even click on the link. its still 100% not working, maybe in the middle of the night
When's the last time the site worked for you? it's been at least a year not for me....honestly I'm surprised anyone bothers anymore.
 
Back
Top Bottom