18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

CZ…when!?!?

I have to figure out which division to play in then buy from there. This is helpful. Thanks!
Honestly i would just go with whatever gun you like and then just go for it, The classifier scores between limited optics and carry optics are like .1 hit factor they are barely different and it really should just be all one division. Carry optics is basically any striker fired or double action/ single action gun, limited is single action or anything with a magwell so you can run a striker fired gun but if you want an aftermarket magwell that puts you into limited. All that to say, just go with whatever gun you enjoy the most
 
Honestly i would just go with whatever gun you like and then just go for it, The classifier scores between limited optics and carry optics are like .1 hit factor they are barely different and it really should just be all one division. Carry optics is basically any striker fired or double action/ single action gun, limited is single action or anything with a magwell so you can run a striker fired gun but if you want an aftermarket magwell that puts you into limited. All that to say, just go with whatever gun you enjoy the most
If you’re shooting 9mm though are you at much of a disadvantage in limited? I still haven’t 100% figured out the minor vs major thing yet. Are they totally different divisions (limited minor vs limited major) and scored separately? I’m looking to shoot a 9mm SAO and wondering if I should load 9mm for major or just shoot factory 9mm ammo in minor. And what the scoring/ranking repercussions of that choice are.
 
If you’re shooting 9mm though are you at much of a disadvantage in limited? I still haven’t 100% figured out the minor vs major thing yet. Are they totally different divisions (limited minor vs limited major) and scored separately? I’m looking to shoot a 9mm SAO and wondering if I should load 9mm for major or just shoot factory 9mm ammo in minor. And what the scoring/ranking repercussions of that choice are.
Definitely don't shoot 9mm major that just blows up guns, so Limited which is iron sights has major scoring but limited optics does not so if you put an optic on you can shoot in limited optics. In the beginning it's not going to matter because you won't be competitive anyway. But as you get better you will probably want to classify and that's when the divisions matter more. Major scoring is definitely an advantage but it's also a huge waste of money and the only reason it's still around at all is for the one old guy that wants to shoot single stack and the 5 people that want to shoot open. 95% of people are in carry optics or limited optics.
 
Definitely don't shoot 9mm major that just blows up guns, so Limited which is iron sights has major scoring but limited optics does not so if you put an optic on you can shoot in limited optics. In the beginning it's not going to matter because you won't be competitive anyway. But as you get better you will probably want to classify and that's when the divisions matter more. Major scoring is definitely an advantage but it's also a huge waste of money and the only reason it's still around at all is for the one old guy that wants to shoot single stack and the 5 people that want to shoot open. 95% of people are in carry optics or limited optics.
What’s the rationale for major scoring in limited but not limited optics?? I’m not sure if I want to put a dot on my SAO so might just figure out something else, that sucks. Also don’t get why SAO puts you in an entirely different category… these DA/SA guns have just as good of SA triggers; so ONE shot out of 40 is a little harder and that’s enough to put them in another category entirely?
 
They didn't even bother to try to keep the SP-01 or the P-01 on the roster. I think CZ has basically decided to just abandon CA entirely. It's too bad because the pricing on some models like P10-C, would sell really well here I think. A shadow 2 at MSRP would also sell incredibly well here I think

What changes would be needed to make the P10-c series California compliant?
 
What’s the rationale for major scoring in limited but not limited optics?? I’m not sure if I want to put a dot on my SAO so might just figure out something else, that sucks. Also don’t get why SAO puts you in an entirely different category… these DA/SA guns have just as good of SA triggers; so ONE shot out of 40 is a little harder and that’s enough to put them in another category entirely?
Basically it's because of how the divisions began a long time ago, there was production which was unmodified off the shelf guns, and open which was heavily modified with a compensator, then in the middle you have limited which is modified guns. Limited and open were and are still basically built around the double stack 1911. Limited and open had major scoring so people ran 40 or whatever. They have changed the division rules a bit, now you can modify a production gun quite a bit, just not to single action because then it would be impinging on limited. Them when optics come out, they make carry optics as "production optics" and let you have extended magazines so everyone started shooting that instead, then made limited optics and dropped major scoring because it's dumb. It's basically because people would whine if they just combined divisions even though the majority would be fine with combining carry optics and limited optics, but as you have probably learned the gun world is filled with cranky old men. But they can avoid that by instead just creating a new division and the old division still exists but no one shoots it. I don't think I've seen but maybe one guy shoot limited ever, a few single stack here and there but iron sights are pretty rare. I don't even have anything without a red dot anymore because it's so much better to just use a dot. Like I said it won't matter in the beginning because you won't be competitive, but it wouldn't be the worst idea to get it milled for an optic because that will immediately make you more competitive. It's basically do you want to line up two blurry iron sights with a target or alight one red dot with a target. You want to be pulling the trigger as soon as you are on target.
 
Basically it's because of how the divisions began a long time ago, there was production which was unmodified off the shelf guns, and open which was heavily modified with a compensator, then in the middle you have limited which is modified guns. Limited and open were and are still basically built around the double stack 1911. Limited and open had major scoring so people ran 40 or whatever. They have changed the division rules a bit, now you can modify a production gun quite a bit, just not to single action because then it would be impinging on limited. Them when optics come out, they make carry optics as "production optics" and let you have extended magazines so everyone started shooting that instead, then made limited optics and dropped major scoring because it's dumb. It's basically because people would whine if they just combined divisions even though the majority would be fine with combining carry optics and limited optics, but as you have probably learned the gun world is filled with cranky old men. But they can avoid that by instead just creating a new division and the old division still exists but no one shoots it. I don't think I've seen but maybe one guy shoot limited ever, a few single stack here and there but iron sights are pretty rare. I don't even have anything without a red dot anymore because it's so much better to just use a dot. Like I said it won't matter in the beginning because you won't be competitive, but it wouldn't be the worst idea to get it milled for an optic because that will immediately make you more competitive. It's basically do you want to line up two blurry iron sights with a target or alight one red dot with a target. You want to be pulling the trigger as soon as you are on target.
Yeah I do want a dot on it eventually, it’s just a new gun to me and I’m obsessed with it and don’t want to send it out for 3 months yet.
 
Yeah I do want a dot on it eventually, it’s just a new gun to me and I’m obsessed with it and don’t want to send it out for 3 months yet.
It shouldn't take that long, places like vigilante machine are like 2 weeks
 
Im thinking about getting the TS3 when it comes out, or a shadow 2 carry. I dont own any CZ pistols and im curious.
 
Never seen them mentioned, it seems like the top ones take 2+ months. Do you have any direct experience with them? I’m open
Well they have had a slide form me for one week so far, the guy said it's usually 1 week for the milling and 1 week for cerakote so hopefully I can let you know next week. Wager is famous for fast turnaround times, they also will do cuts that aren't posted on their website if you ask them if you are looking for a certain combination.
 
Im thinking about getting the TS3 when it comes out, or a shadow 2 carry. I dont own any CZ pistols and im curious.
Good luck on getting a TS3. If they are in the US now there are very few and if and when some do make it to CA. the markup will probably be astronomical.You would be better off getting an S2 compact but still be paying more for it here.
 
Good luck on getting a TS3. If they are in the US now there are very few and if and when some do make it to CA. the markup will probably be astronomical.You would be better off getting an S2 compact but still be paying more for it here.
Looks like the ts3 comes out later this year. I think ill wait for it.
 
Last edited:
Well they have had a slide form me for one week so far, the guy said it's usually 1 week for the milling and 1 week for cerakote so hopefully I can let you know next week. Wager is famous for fast turnaround times, they also will do cuts that aren't posted on their website if you ask them if you are looking for a certain combination.
Can you let me know how it went when you get it back?

CZ Custom and CGW both quoted over 3 months and I don’t want to wait that long … I never understood why they make you send it in to sit on a shelf, just let people pay and keep their gun til you’re ready for them to send it in…
 
Can you let me know how it went when you get it back?

CZ Custom and CGW both quoted over 3 months and I don’t want to wait that long … I never understood why they make you send it in to sit on a shelf, just let people pay and keep their gun til you’re ready for them to send it in…
CGW would probably end up waiting for people who "Totally meant to send it today but got delayed at work but I'll send it tomorrow for sure."
 
Can you let me know how it went when you get it back?

CZ Custom and CGW both quoted over 3 months and I don’t want to wait that long … I never understood why they make you send it in to sit on a shelf, just let people pay and keep their gun til you’re ready for them to send it in…
They want you to think that you are tinkering on it for 3 full months but then guys like Wager will mill and cerakote and ship it back in like 3 days.
 
I've heard nothing but good things about Drew from Vigilante Machine, and he's great to deal with personally. Responsive comms.

For my TS2 I sent it to Stonebridge Gunworks as someone else I know with a TS2 had a good result with them, and not everyone is set up to cut the TS2.

Primary Machine is great, but long turnaround times.

CGW is great for their upgrades, Cerakoting, and polishing work, though I never had them mill for an optic. I'm sure they're great. I thought they were great on the phone too. Longish turnaround time for the upgrades but worth the wait.
 
Back
Top Bottom