18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Experience with Users/Buyers on Here Ghosting

I almost want to have a low ball shamer button… if they get 10 low ball remarks, they get a low baller badge
I sort of agree but then who decides what a lowball is? If a guy posts a stock used G19.3 for $1500 and I offer $1000 he’s gonna say I lowballed him but to me that’s still a crazy price…
 
It depends on what you call a "low baller". I offer people what an item is worth to me. Give me an example of a low baller, what were you selling and for how much and what did the LB offer you?
Example would be someone asking off the bat “what’s the lowest you would go” I courteously provide answer not a smartass answer and do a little discount from listing. Dude disappears.
 
I sort of agree but then who decides what a lowball is? If a guy posts a stock used G19.3 for $1500 and I offer $1000 he’s gonna say I lowballed him but to me that’s still a crazy price…
Anyone who starts off the conversation with “what’s the lowest you will sell for” lmao the lowball intention is there right away
 
I usually am a buyer but recently started selling a bit but got discouraged. Not because of the people but because I couldn’t sell something lol. I’m a hoarder.

Regarding buying, I ALWAYS ask what’s the best price out the door. I pay all fees and I go to their preferred FFL and then thank them for the consideration.

I usually ghost them when they respond in a snarky or dismissive attitude.

It doesn’t hurt to ask for a deal and I look up what the going rate for things are and take into account the MSRP and scarcity (if applicable).

Yes. Buyers can be tools as well “I know what I got”. Cool. I’m good then buddy.

Just my .02
 
I sort of agree but then who decides what a lowball is? If a guy posts a stock used G19.3 for $1500 and I offer $1000 he’s gonna say I lowballed him but to me that’s still a crazy price…
I think you have to
What do you guys think of a “rate this message” in the DM? Is it a bit much? Lol
I think a Firm price selection then when they ultimately offer a lower price boom automatic lowballer tick. Or if its an open to offers ad then anything more than a predetermined delta triggers a tick
 
I usually am a buyer but recently started selling a bit but got discouraged. Not because of the people but because I couldn’t sell something lol. I’m a hoarder.

Regarding buying, I ALWAYS ask what’s the best price out the door. I pay all fees and I go to their preferred FFL and then thank them for the consideration.

I usually ghost them when they respond in a snarky or dismissive attitude.

It doesn’t hurt to ask for a deal and I look up what the going rate for things are and take into account the MSRP and scarcity (if applicable).

Yes. Buyers can be tools as well “I know what I got”. Cool. I’m good then buddy.

Just my .02
Hopefully you don’t start the chat with “what’s the lowest you will sell for”. That’s not good start in my experience lmao
 
I think you have to

I think a Firm price selection then when they ultimately offer a lower price boom automatic lowballer tick. Or if its an open to offers ad then anything more than a predetermined delta triggers a tick
What people consider low ballet is subjective. However, a message rating would force you to be a little nicer. The main issue is vengeance ratings but the message would have to be open between the two. Maybe a little box on the side. Kind of like a uber review lol.

Just throwing out ideas im not looking for more work but I don’t like what im seeing and want to curb bad etiquette or at least maintain a standard
 
Hopefully you don’t start the chat with “what’s the lowest you will sell for”. That’s not good start in my experience lmao
I usually introduce myself, acknowledge the product for sale, say I’m interested and what is the best out the door price without wanting to offend. Tell them I would go to their preferred FFL and of course all fees and such would be on me and paid in cash. Thank them for their time and consideration.

Would you consider that starting the chat with “what’s the lowest you will sell for”?

Being asking for their best deal for as long as I can remember and have never negotiated after their answer. If they say the price is firm in a cool neutral way and I really want it I make it happen.

Do the same thing in flea markets, or anywhere. I like negotiating and am fair.

In my experience I find people don’t necessarily negotiate hard Agustin themselves but will give people a reasonable break and that’s all I ask for. If I can pay for my gas and buy lunch that’s a HUGE win for me.

Not looking to lowball the crap out of them. Just a small discount.
 
What people consider low ballet is subjective. However, a message rating would force you to be a little nicer. The main issue is vengeance ratings but the message would have to be open between the two. Maybe a little box on the side. Kind of like a uber review lol.

Just throwing out ideas im not looking for more work but I don’t like what im seeing and want to curb bad etiquette or at least maintain a standard
Nothing really needs to be done. The feedback section is kinda like a reputation system already. Low positive feedback is them shooting their shot but not getting anyone to accept the deals lol.
 
It's okay to look for a deal. I think the general takeaway is to be polite. Some examples;

"BrO wutz yer botom line ? ??"

Note the busted writing, obviously done in a hurry. No regard for language or introduction. Using the term "Bro" without even knowing the person or what sex they are. Buyer is probably young, impetuous, and I wouldn't trust them to even show up or leave feedback.

Example 2;

"Howdy,

I'm inquiring about the <Item> and am interested in a purchase, though I have a budget. Could you tell me your best and final price?"

Optional:

"I've seen them at <X price> online and could offer <Y>. I'm free to meet on <X day> and would prefer <Y FFL>.

Thanks!"
 
Nothing really needs to be done. The feedback section is kinda like a reputation system already. Low positive feedback is them shooting their shot but not getting anyone to accept the deals lol.
That's post once everything is done.. but i still think a prescreen would be good.. Just to improve bad etiquette, you can be a 🍆, but be a 🍆 to people who deserve it, not people in your community.. The whole point is to try to build a proper community vibe. Some people don't like that, but that's the larger goal. We can do so much more that way.. It'll take time and some nudging to change status quo, but its possible. We've already proven that with the way things used to be here. We'll gradually change it. IMHO It's better when people are nicer and more considerate.
 
Interesting perspective. I’m kind of on the other side of it as a buyer.

Yeah, sometimes I’ll throw out lowball offers. Most of the time it’s just one of those “if they say yes, I’ll take it lol” situations. I’m not doing it to be disrespectful, just trying to catch a good deal. And sometimes that leads to me getting “ghosted” because the seller just ignores the offer. Honestly, I don’t take any offense to that.

I’d also push back a little on the idea that buyers don’t know what things are worth or are just lowballing. Sometimes sellers are just as out of touch with what their firearm is worth and what the current market actually looks like.

Like it or not, politics affects the market. When Republicans are in power, gun sales usually cool off because fewer people are panicking about bans. Demand drops, and stuff does not move as fast. The market is basically telling you to price accordingly. When Democrats are in power, it is usually the opposite. Demand spikes and prices go up.

At the end of the day, like anything else, your stuff is worth what someone else is willing to pay. Sure, a sucker is born every day and might pay a high price, but you might be waiting a while for that buyer.
Marketplaces are for commerce, and people make deals through haggling and getting the best price. Nothing wrong with throwing out an offer. I find if you offer within 5-10 % of what they want you'll always get a reasonable counter offer or even a straight up offer.
 
I was attempting to sell 2 highly customized Glocks and got so tired of lowball offers and getting ghosted that I resorted to selling them on consignment at my lgs. Once knowledgeable people could get their hands on them they both sold in 1 weekend. I did have to give up 15% of my selling price, but it was worth it not to deal with the hassle. I just posted a screaming deal for a handgun yesterday. No lowball offers so far, but I have got a couple of people ghosting me after asking questions. I've come to expect those as they've obviously moved on to something else and forgot about our conversation. It's annoying, but not anything worth losing sleep over. This time I'll just wait it out until someone who truly appreciates the gun and the price finds it and appreciates the deal.
 
I was attempting to sell 2 highly customized Glocks and got so tired of lowball offers and getting ghosted that I resorted to selling them on consignment at my lgs. Once knowledgeable people could get their hands on them they both sold in 1 weekend. I did have to give up 15% of my selling price, but it was worth it not to deal with the hassle. I just posted a screaming deal for a handgun yesterday. No lowball offers so far, but I have got a couple of people ghosting me after asking questions. I've come to expect those as they've obviously moved on to something else and forgot about our conversation. It's annoying, but not anything worth losing sleep over. This time I'll just wait it out until someone who truly appreciates the gun and the price finds it and appreciates the deal.
yeah.. i think we've become the value place for stock items. Modified anything is less desirable here unless its minimal. Event then its hard to recover any premiums. Finding local people who are looking for that type of thing is the best. In a way that's good to hear because we don't want to be the only place, we want people find what they're looking for and still visit stores. We actually want to push people to stores so they have a reason to stay.

The irony in this kinda of niche is that people are both friendly and rough.. lol
 
Example would be someone asking off the bat “what’s the lowest you would go” I courteously provide answer not a smartass answer and do a little discount from listing. Dude disappears.

That's just rude but I wouldn't call it a low baller. I think of a low baller as someone who responds to an ad and offers 1/10th the asking price, for example. Still if the asking price is outrageous you never know, the seller might bite if he needs the cash.

Stigmatizing buyers as "low ballers" is a great way to drive buyers away from the site and, without buyers, this place is simply another social media chat site.
 
Back
Top Bottom