18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Have you ever kept a pistol completely BONE STOCK?

Have you ever (long-term) owned and kept a handgun completely bone stock?

  • Yes

    Votes: 141 79.7%
  • No

    Votes: 36 20.3%

  • Total voters
    177
Wow man, it takes a lot of discipline not to be tempted with modifying the Shield 1.0 -- particularly the trigger. Shield is an awesome pistol, the trigger is horrible .... or is it???

Actually that whole generation from that time not just S&W other manufacturers put out some pretty horrible Striker Fired triggers.

Nevertheless I do realize with enough practice, one can be extremely proficient with just about any firearm, and so many of us (myself included) have upgrade illness :LOL:
It's not bad, but it's not great either. The actual take up/slack and wall to break is pretty good for a stock pistol. The hinge is not the greatest and detracts from the otherwise decent trigger. But I don't notice it too much anymore.

I've always wanted to put a red dot on it but the slide doesn't leave much room for one. I always thought I'd wait for a newer one with optics cut already to come to the roster. Then I seen they came out with the shield X and decided I'm going to have to wait for that one 😂

Since I've relegated it to mostly my nightstand gun I don't mind anymore. And I have other pistols I can modify and play with so that helps ease the itch 😁
 
Last edited:
1978 Colt 6" Python, 1979 Walther PPK/s, 1982 S&W 2 1/2" Model 66, Colt 45 in there somewhere. Had SIGS for years after that starting around 1992, didn't do any mods until the last few years.
 
My NAA mini .22 is stock. What could any Smith do?

My Springfield 1911 mil spec has thinner Kimber grips.

My Springfield 1911 9mm target has thin Kimber wood grips and a one piece rod.

The Shield has a Holoson 507 milled to the far rear of the slide.
 
My two G34’s have been identically modified with Trijicon night sites, some minor changes to the trigger for comfort’s sake, and lights.

My German Luger and my WWI Spanish Izarra have been modified with different grips by my father. And only his 1934 Beretta is completely stock.
 
HK USP doesn't need a thing out of the box
I've replaced the main spring on a USP, and used an after-market one (Wolff, it was cheaper). Does that count as "not completely bone stock"?

On one of the P210s, I replaced the (ancient, worn out and sticky) grips with Nill. I guess that doesn't count as "bone stock" any more. But I saved the original ... it is older than I am, and I have lots of gray hair.
 
Yep.

My Rock Island Para P-14 clone even though this will see modifications I the future. And my Bersa Thunder -no need because it’s a great little plinker/carry gun out the box.
 
For the longest and for the most part, most are bone stock with the exception of changing out stock iron sights to tritium. I have one where I removed the factory optic plate to add a red dot and another where I had the slide cut for an optic; wanted to learn more about pistol mounted red dots. None of them have their internals changed out to aftermarket parts; except one that was bought used and came with upgraded trigger parts. I think I tend to leave them the way they are mainly because they are meant for defensive use. Most of them do have weapon mounted lights. I havnt set up a pistol for competition purposes or for speed yet; probably because I practice for steel challenge with the same defensive pistols in production division.

CCW pistols only have tritium sights; no lights, no optics, and everything else is bone stock.
 
Last edited:
Does bone stock also mean no lights, no optics; with the exemption of tritium or fiber optic iron sights?

Also are non-conventional/non-traditional rifle caliber pistols excluded from this topic?

If it's attached to a factory rail or a factory optic cut, that would still be a stock gun, as nothing was modified from its factory condition. Upgraded sights would be a modification.
 
XD45 first pistol I've ever purchased. Bone stock, not even night sights. While I love the accuracy, I've never felt the need to throw money at an XD.
 
XD45 first pistol I've ever purchased. Bone stock, not even night sights. While I love the accuracy, I've never felt the need to throw money at an XD.
I think the Oem trigger on the xd’s are a little nicer than Oem Glock. Less of a wall, more of a roll, but some may say it’s mushy compared to Glock.
 
Back
Top Bottom