18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Have you ever kept a pistol completely BONE STOCK?

Have you ever (long-term) owned and kept a handgun completely bone stock?

  • Yes

    Votes: 141 79.7%
  • No

    Votes: 36 20.3%

  • Total voters
    177
Bone stock means you haven't altered it in ANY way from its original, factory condition, besides just shooting, cleaning, maintaining it.

If it's attached to a factory rail or a factory optic cut, that would still be a stock gun, as nothing was modified from its factory condition.

Attaching a light or a red dot is more than just “shooting, cleaning, maintaining it.” I have a few carry guns that I only added a red dot to, but since that’s more than shooting, cleaning, or maintaining it, I answered no on your poll. I guess now that the parameters have changed, you can change my response to yes.
 
If it's attached to a factory rail or a factory optic cut, that would still be a stock gun, as nothing was modified from its factory condition. Upgraded sights would be a modification.
I'd argue that "stock" would allow accessories like you listed. "Bone Stock" would be as received from the factory. No accessories or extra parts not on it
 
I'd argue that "stock" would allow accessories like you listed. "Bone Stock" would be as received from the factory. No accessories or extra parts not on it
Attaching a light or a red dot is more than just “shooting, cleaning, maintaining it.” I have a few carry guns that I only added a red dot to, but since that’s more than shooting, cleaning, or maintaining it, I answered no on your poll. I guess now that the parameters have changed, you can change my response to yes.

Yes, I can definitely see where that would be confusing. I can't change your answer on the Vote, but I believe if you go back up there, you can change it.

In my mind, modification and attachment are two different things... like attaching ammo to a magazine and then attaching the mag to the gun is not modifying it :LOL: .... but the correct answer is really whatever you think is reasonably Bone Stock
 
I was assigned a G23.3 for duty. Only used it for quals and training, bought it for $300 when I left. Been stock and going strong over 5 years now.
 
Yes, I have a bunch. I carried my first P220 as-is out of the box for several years. I have many other handguns that are just fine like that.
 
Stock 365XL for EDC, stock G19 for bedside. Those are what's in use. I have another 3 I can think of Springfield XD full size .45ACP and 1 same 9mm just sit in the safe. All my shotguns have and all bolt rifles have been unmodified. Also my Limcat and MPA DS9 have been perfect.
 
Honestly? No.

The ONLY gun I ever kept close to stock is my Buckmark. I changed the front sight to a Hi-Viz red FO. Nothing else bc it didn't need it.
 
Glock 17 and 22. I have multiple models but these two specifically I've kept OEM. I might sell one as I don't do as much target shooting or requals these days.
 
I was assigned a G23.3 for duty. Only used it for quals and training, bought it for $300 when I left. Been stock and going strong over 5 years now.
Same here, I liked mine so much; I ended up buying the same model. Even had a similar serial number!
 
Yes my h&k usp compact variant 1 that was double action /single action which I regret ever selling for $750. Had a production date code of BG. Did not need to do anything to that gun. Out of the box it was perfect.
 
I had a XD9SC I didn't touch that was my EDC at the time. A Taurus PT92 that I don't shoot, a 629, a 686, a Redhawk and a Peacemaker that are all bone stock. Every other handgun is modded somehow. Only one long gun is fully original
Does your PT92 have a rail? 👀
 
Springfield 1911 TRP Operator - completely stock. Since it came with target night sights, I didn't have to do anything.
Glock 20 - completely stock.
Glock 21 - completely stock.

They all run perfectly, so I'm not sure what I would or could do to improve them. The TRP is extremely accurate and great to shoot, so it is my EDC.
 
Springfield 1911 - Stock / God's caliber fun gun
Springfield EMP 3" Ronan - Stock / CCW gun
Springfield Hellcat 3" - Red Dot / CCW gun
Glock 29FS - Weapons light / Home Defense
 
P2000sk, Ruger Mk III target, Ruger Mark III, Ruger P97DC, LC380,FN five seven, Taurus PT140, Compact shield, are all stock. Only modified a G19 (range toy) a MAX9 (factory ruger slide without the CLI) and a Ultra carry II to have a shorter trigger.
 
This is only for pistols you've owned for a long time, and not counting the pistols you've owned for only a short period of time, like less than a year.

Bone stock means you haven't altered it in ANY way from its original, factory condition, besides just shooting, cleaning, maintaining it.
Yes sir 😀 my springfield XD9 to me she is just perfect out the box and as time and bullets ran thru her she still feels much better than my G19.3
 
Back
Top Bottom