18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Have you ever really wanted a firearm?And then when you got it it's Terrible

p365: everything seemed amazing about it on paper. Most popular selling gun in America, it was acclaimed.

I tried a couple hundred rounds at the range and hated how the subcompact p365 handled in my hands. Slim form factor made it feel unwieldy. As a point of reference, g19.3 finger grooves fit me perfectly and I even prefer my gen3 over my g19.5
 
Forgot my Bersa Firestorm .380. I liked the cold war pistol look/ feel especially with nice wood grips.

What I didn't like was my hand being battered to 💩 because it was a blowback pistol. I am not recoil sensitive or anything, but the web of my hand was raw, red and blistered from like 40 rounds. The gun itself was super comfortable to hold carry, but my firing hand didn't like it and I knew if it's not fun/comfortable to shoot I would make excuses not to practice with it.

You wouldn't think a blowback .380 in a steel gun would be an issue like that. My friend tried it and after two mags came to the same conclusion.
Bersa. I forgot about that one. Had one, not sure the model for CCW and sold it days later. The 20# trigger was awful.
 
p365: everything seemed amazing about it on paper. Most popular selling gun in America, it was acclaimed.

I tried a couple hundred rounds at the range and hated how the subcompact p365 handled in my hands. Slim form factor made it feel unwieldy. As a point of reference, g19.3 finger grooves fit me perfectly and I even prefer my gen3 over my g19.5
I'd look at the P365X or P365 XL with Wilson Combat grip. I was honestly surprised the LACK of recoil these small guns have compared to say a Glock 26.
 
It doesn't happen often, but when it does its the worst. I always research and try to shoot everything before I buy it now. It has saved me from wasting money a few times.
 
Almost. Wanted a Thompson the version with stick mag and no foward grip. Out shooting last month talking to one who had one.

He was telling me he has one but to hold his and shoot it before I decide. We’ll picked it up and it was damn heavy didn’t get to shooting it just picking it up
Was enough for me.
Thompson is one of my bucket list guns also, but only for the cool factor. They really are horrible handling guns. If the weight is the only thing discouraging you, they do make an aluminum frame model that is quite a bit lighter. You can have a gun that handles terrible, but weighs much less!
 
When I first tried my 365, I was horrible with it. There was a definite learning curve for me. It forced me to really focused on my grip. I swapped in an X grip module with extended mag release. Now it's a joy to shoot.

The one I'm not happy with is my Glock 20. I've put more than a few boxes through it. It has cycling issues. I haven't wanted to invest the time or energy to sort them out. First and only Glock. Not impressed...
 
My first gun was a Marlin 1895. I was maybe not quite ready for it. I now have a different one and enjoy it a great deal.

Very few guns I have owned I have hated, although I need to really love something to keep it for long. Factory hogue grips on a gp100 for instance spoiled that gun for me (too big for my hands), but if I had put different grips on probably would have been fine. I loathed the trigger on a Ruger 57, but realistically it shot fine and was ok. Probably the worst was a 38 derringer with easily a 25lb+ trigger pull and sights that maybe indicated the general direction the gun was pointed. But it still made me giggle every time I gave it another chance, at least until I tried to pull the trigger.
 
Mind me asking what your list of fixes were? As of now, I mostly get failure to feeds and ejects. They tend to happen most when the magazine is 6-10 rounds full. As the mag gets closer to empty, it runs smoother to 0.

So far I've polished the hammer, inside of the slide that makes contact, and the feed ramp.
 
I wanted a Desert Eagle for the longest time. It wasn't until I got it that I realized how incredibly stupid and impractical it is. Yeah it's fun to shoot...when it works. Unfortunately it's very picky with ammo, you have to clean it every 100 rounds or the gas system clogs, have to replace recoil springs every 3000, etc.
 
I have made a few mistakes. The first was Kel Tec's P11, heck I had to tell my LGS where to get it so I could purchase it, back in 95 (that is 1995 not 1895). One of the first small 10 round 9mms. The trigger was crap and if you gripped the butt of the gun to tight you could not drop the mag. Still have it for one reason only. Next was the 1st Kahr 380, it shot fine, but the trigger was such a long and sloppy pull I would prefer a DA only revolver. Sold it. You guys know the definition of insanity? doing something more than once and expecting a different result. Well, you might see my picture next to it in the dictionary. I liked the size and weight of that gun so I did it again and got the same results and sold it also.
 
The 50 desert eagle was one of my most exciting purchases at the time, but I was glad to let it go later. I had all 3 uppers at one time too. The .44 shot great with miwall +p+ .44 mag, which were cheap at the time. Felt just like the .50ae.

Magnum revolvers are far more efficient while only giving up 1-2 rounds.
 
I wanted a Desert Eagle for the longest time. It wasn't until I got it that I realized how incredibly stupid and impractical it is. Yeah it's fun to shoot...when it works. Unfortunately it's very picky with ammo, you have to clean it every 100 rounds or the gas system clogs, have to replace recoil springs every 3000, etc.
Is there a Desert Eagle that has 3000 rounds through it??? lol
 
Beretta tomcat 32
Yuck
 
Didn't really 'Jones'in' for anything I already have. Only ones I'm Jones'in for is a Shadow 2 and M&P 2.0 Metal. Absolutely refuse to pay off roster prices . Doubt I'll dislike them though. Already have other CZs and M&Ps, and I like those.

That said, there are a few firearms that did disappoint when I got them. Bought an SP2022 on a whim....in 2022; yup, just cause it matched the year. IMO, quality is not the same as other Sigs I own/used.

Other is a Walther P22; absolute garbage of a firearm. If there is a "Bible" to correct issues, that should tell you something. Avoid them like the plague.

Another one I disliked at first is a 930 JM Pro. More disgusted with how Mossberg handled the situation rather than the shotgun itself. Ran like crap. Sent it in twice and Mossberg didn't fix it. I ended up fixing it myself. Now it runs like a bat outta hell. I like this particular shotgun, but I probably wont buy another Mossberg.
 
Walther P22 for my kids.. I wish I spent the extra few hundred and got the Ruger Mark IV.

So many issues of the box.
I almost bought a P22 but I asked the store clerk to field strip it and neither he or I could reassemble it; I passed.
p365: everything seemed amazing about it on paper. Most popular selling gun in America, it was acclaimed.

I tried a couple hundred rounds at the range and hated how the subcompact p365 handled in my hands. Slim form factor made it feel unwieldy. As a point of reference, g19.3 finger grooves fit me perfectly and I even prefer my gen3 over my g19.5
Try the P365 in 380, it’s like a different gun.
When I first tried my 365, I was horrible with it. There was a definite learning curve for me. It forced me to really focused on my grip. I swapped in an X grip module with extended mag release. Now it's a joy to shoot.

The one I'm not happy with is my Glock 20. I've put more than a few boxes through it. It has cycling issues. I haven't wanted to invest the time or energy to sort them out. First and only Glock. Not impressed...
I’ve been looking at a G20/29 for my woods gun. I’m disappointed to read about the reliability issues you’re having.
 
Do you have large "fleshy" hands that go over the tang of the frame? I love my PP in .32. Heavy DA trigger and all. Its a great gun for first time shooters. Very fun to shoot. Never had any slide bite issue, but I dont have "meaty" hands.
I have the Interarms PPK in 380 with the short beavertail. I can totally see it biting anybody with ham hands. I find mine to be very accurate and the DA pull is not bad at all. I got mine on a whim at a gun store, so round count is unknown. Mine is fun to shoot for 50 or less rounds, with the short beaver tail it does eat into the web of your hand. Also seems to require a pretty good grip or it has feeding issues. I haven't had an issue, but 2 of my buddies had feeding issues, which resolved after telling them to grip like you mean it with your dominant hand (not much room for the support hand).

I would love to trade my 380 for the 32 later models with the larger beaver tail. I think those will be much easier and nicer to shoot. I hate the roster, as I would have done it already, but 32 PPKs or PPK/S' are impossible to find off roster in CA.
 
I have the Interarms PPK in 380 with the short beavertail. I can totally see it biting anybody with ham hands. I find mine to be very accurate and the DA pull is not bad at all. I got mine on a whim at a gun store, so round count is unknown. Mine is fun to shoot for 50 or less rounds, with the short beaver tail it does eat into the web of your hand. Also seems to require a pretty good grip or it has feeding issues. I haven't had an issue, but 2 of my buddies had feeding issues, which resolved after telling them to grip like you mean it with your dominant hand (not much room for the support hand).

I would love to trade my 380 for the 32 later models with the larger beaver tail. I think those will be much easier and nicer to shoot. I hate the roster, as I would have done it already, but 32 PPKs or PPK/S' are impossible to find off roster in CA.
If you have a C&R 03FFL you might have luck finding one, especially if you travel out of state. The PP in .32 is a great gun. I've never tried one in .380 and I've never heard anyone ever say anything positive about them. In contrast, I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the .32s. It's a super fun round to shoot.
 
Back
Top Bottom