18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Honest Outlaw (Chris) is "Done With Glocks" - What About You?

Nobody here or anywhere says you "can't" shot a Glock, but this may surprise you, some people have different shaped hands so the changeable ergonomics of other pistols frames work better. I personally get insane slide bite from Glocks, even the 17 but worst on the 19 so it only works with a big ass aftermarket beavertail. So other platforms literally work better out of the box. If all you care about is the bare minimum then sure, Glock is fine. I personally like a shorter reset with a predictable light break on a trigger. Doesn't mean I'm incapable of shooting a Glock it's just something I like because I don't have to worry nearly as much about my trigger press when trying to shoot fast. Why do you object to people just preferring something that works better for them? You do only the bare minimum in all aspects of your life or do you have air conditioning in your car?
I don’t have AC in my car, no. I also don’t use a dishwasher. They’re wasteful.

Your response is very interesting. Guns are not designed to be comfortable, they’re designed to run reliably. It’s a uncomfortable and unnatural act after all. I almost never feel comfortable shooting a pistol. They all have their quirks in grip, and need facilitating. Same as using a ball peen vs claw vs brass hammer. If I saved my life or the life of a loved one and had a little slide bite I’d sleep fine at night.

You’re in a statistical minority. And this could be remedied with practice and a couple thousand rounds. No sense changing a proven design to suit your needs.

Like I said if you’re in the middle you blame the tools.
 
I don’t have AC in my car, no. I also don’t use a dishwasher. They’re wasteful.

Your response is very interesting. Guns are not designed to be comfortable, they’re designed to run reliably. It’s a uncomfortable and unnatural act after all. I almost never feel comfortable shooting a pistol. They all have their quirks in grip, and need facilitating. Same as using a ball peen vs claw vs brass hammer. If I saved my life or the life of a loved one and had a little slide bite I’d sleep fine at night.

You’re in a statistical minority. No sense changing a proven design to suit your needs.

Like I said if you’re in the middle you blame the tools.
Glock literally did change it though, they implemented beavertails in 2005, just not for CA, and my same issue is a common complaint. You seem like you just want to talk down to people instead of have a conversation though so I'm gonna just leave you alone.
 
I got into guns when the only decent option for an on roster pistol was Glock, so I’ve got a few 19’s and a 17. I also have all the mags/holsters, and have customized them to my liking. With how expensive new stuff is I’m not in a huge rush to replace everything for a pretty marginal improvement.

That being said, even if Gen 5 Glocks were an option in CA I would not recommend one to a new shooter.
 
The only thing Glock needs to do is slim down their frames. Gunfighter Tactical here in San Diego used to do it. The feel in hand is night and day. Thinking of buying a 30sf and putting her on a diet. I'd rather pick my own night sights them have the factory do it and pass on the expense.
 
Decades of Glocks going bang outweighs any advancements as far as my primary pistol is concerned. G17 all day unless my 590A1 is handy. I like my dinosaurs.
 
Last edited:
Glocks are good guns overall, but they stopped really being innovative like 15-20 years ago. They really haven’t done anything to keep themselves relevant.

The “V” is a step backwards without a RDO mount/cut, why limit yourself when that is basically a standard feature across the board nowadays.
 
I don’t have AC in my car, no. I also don’t use a dishwasher. They’re wasteful.

Your response is very interesting. Guns are not designed to be comfortable, they’re designed to run reliably. It’s a uncomfortable and unnatural act after all. I almost never feel comfortable shooting a pistol. They all have their quirks in grip, and need facilitating. Same as using a ball peen vs claw vs brass hammer. If I saved my life or the life of a loved one and had a little slide bite I’d sleep fine at night.

You’re in a statistical minority. And this could be remedied with practice and a couple thousand rounds. No sense changing a proven design to suit your needs.

Like I said if you’re in the middle you blame the tools.
Going to disagree here. If I’m going to shoot / carry a gun it’s going to be 100% comfortable to hold and feel like an extension of my hand.

Sure, I can shoot an “uncomfortable” gun, I can also purposely stub my toe, why would I do either if I didn’t have too.

There is a huge aftermarket to Taylor guns to your preference/ comfort, so I think personally you are in the minority in your thought process.

Guns, if you strip away everything, at the end of the day are just tools. Tools are meant to be used, why not be comfortable using them.
 
Going to disagree here. If I’m going to shoot / carry a gun it’s going to be 100% comfortable to hold and feel like an extension of my hand.

Sure, I can shoot an “uncomfortable” gun, I can also purposely stub my toe, why would I do either if I didn’t have too.

There is a huge aftermarket to Taylor guns to your preference/ comfort, so I think personally you are in the minority in your thought process.

Guns, if you strip away everything, at the end of the day are just tools. Tools are meant to be used, why not be comfortable using them.
Shooting is controlling an explosion. There’s nothing comfortable about that. Something being comfortable to hold in your hand doesn’t necessarily translate to efficacy.

Tailoring a gun is fine, but if you can’t shoot without your comfort accessories it’s a huge problem that could cost a life.
 
I own a G19 Gen3, G26 Gen3, and G21 Gen2 that serve me well. I have no intention on buying any other Glocks unless they make any major design changes.
 
Shooting is controlling an explosion. There’s nothing comfortable about that. Something being comfortable to hold in your hand doesn’t necessarily translate to efficacy.

Tailoring a gun is fine, but if you can’t shoot without your comfort accessories it’s a huge problem that could cost a life.
Maybe I’ve just been shooting to long then, because yes, shooting is comfortable.
 
I find this line of argument strange

At the end of the day driving long distance in traffic is not very comfortable. Seating at home in recliner and drinking margaritas is.

Are we going to argue if having seat with 9 axis of adjustment and both cooling and heater built it is better than not having them?

I never had Glocks. Shot them for sure. So I do not have the first hand knowledge about evolution of the gun. But based on my limited knowledge with Glocks they fell behind ever since cz p10 came out.... And falling further and further behind.

That is said the amount of 'behind' is almost negligible. Personally I would not feel outgunned with modern 1911 against any other gun. Same here. Better in this case is real but marginal.

I am leaving quality issues aside. Drifting sights and malfunctions..... That sounds ridiculous but again not being Glock user I can say if they are wide spread
 
I find this line of argument strange

At the end of the day driving long distance in traffic is not very comfortable. Seating at home in recliner and drinking margaritas is.

Are we going to argue if having seat with 9 axis of adjustment and both cooling and heater built it is better than not having them?

I never had Glocks. Shot them for sure. So I do not have the first hand knowledge about evolution of the gun. But based on my limited knowledge with Glocks they fell behind ever since cz p10 came out.... And falling further and further behind.

That is said the amount of 'behind' is almost negligible. Personally I would not feel outgunned with modern 1911 against any other gun. Same here. Better in this case is real but marginal.

I am leaving quality issues aside. Drifting sights and malfunctions..... That sounds ridiculous but again not being Glock user I can say if they are wide spread
Glock was 100% a paradigm shift in the gun world. For example the p226 and G17 released at about the same time, and in 2025 the most popular guns are polymer and striker fired.

That being said they’ve fallen behind the times in features. Gen 6 could be instantly competitive all they have to do is package their RTF frame and ported slide with an optics mount that doesn’t suck and they’re instantly back in the game.
 
That is said the amount of 'behind' is almost negligible.
This is how I personally feel about the current generations of Glock competition. Owning the PDP and with some experience with the Metal M&P, I’d tell you yes there are things about them that are better, but I’m not getting rid of my Glocks for them. A few degrees of grip angle and one pound lighter of a trigger don’t make or break it for me. Sure I can’t get a OEM comped Glock. I don’t want all my guns comped. People keep saying MOS sucks but the PDP, VP9, and M&P also need plates, the Echelon leaves gaps unless you use the biggest footprint, so no one’s optic mount is perfect.

I really wished on their non MOS guns they would push the rear sight back to the same position as the MOS guns though for milling further back.
 
Last edited:
This is how I personally feel about the current generations of Glock competition. Owning the PDP and with some experience with the Metal M&P, I’d tell you yes there are things about them that are better, but I’m not getting rid of my Glocks for them. A few degrees of grip angle and one pound lighter of a trigger don’t make or break it for me. Sure I can’t get a OEM comped Glock. I don’t want all my guns comped. People keep saying MOS sucks but the PDP, VP9, and M&P also need plates, the Echelon leaves gaps unless you use the biggest footprint, so no one’s optic mount is perfect.

I really wished on their non MOS guns they would push the rear sight back to the same position as the MOS guns though for milling further back.
The M&p plates arent really the same plate system though, with MOS you bolt the plate to the slide then the optic to the plate so the screws you use are inherently short. The M&P system you bolt directly through the plate into the slide. For that reason most people get aftermarket MOS plates that are thicker because those short screws are famous for breaking. I dunno when I had an MOS slide I just used the OEM plate and it didn't break but I didn't keep it long because I just don't like the Glock experience in comparison to any other gun I have
 
The M&p plates arent really the same plate system though, with MOS you bolt the plate to the slide then the optic to the plate so the screws you use are inherently short. The M&P system you bolt directly through the plate into the slide. For that reason most people get aftermarket MOS plates that are thicker because those short screws are famous for breaking. I dunno when I had an MOS slide I just used the OEM plate and it didn't break but I didn't keep it long because I just don't like the Glock experience in comparison to any other gun I have
I recall (probably you) this being mentioned before, I do agree this sounds like a better way to do it. Go to know/be reminded though because S&W metal is on my radar.
 
Where to even start...

I've always had mixed feelings about Glock's. On the plus side, I like the simplicity. But my early experiences weren't very good. A G26 acquired about 15 years ago had the brass to face issue, which I was not able to fix. G19 gen 2 and 3 examples around the same time were fine with free-state magazines, but unreliable with JHP in 10-round magazines. This has long been one of my pet peeves with Glock, as a RSO I've seen a zillion folks shoot FMJ from a Glock without issue, but the ones I've talked to generally had never tested the pistol with carry ammo. Mine were fine with FMJ, but wouldn't make it through a magazine wit a stoppage with JHP. Now this has, I think, finally been fixed with the orange follower gen 5 magazines, I've put several hundred rounds of JHP through those without issue this past year. But it took a long time for Glock to get there, and I still don't fully trust it because of that past experience.

I'm not deeply invested in the Glock ecosystem, currently I have a G26 gen 3 which has, after a short break-in, been reliable. Same with a G34 gen 3, which took a little longer (100 rounds) to break in, but has been 100% since then. Both had two or three stoppages in the first few mags, then loosened up and ran fine. Both were bone dry out of the box, and I had to clean and oil them first thing. But this was with 140 PF ammo, which makes me wonder what ammo Chris was using; cheap underpowered 115gr range ammo might be an issue for a longer while.

Glocks have the ergonomics of a brick, but I've learned that some pistols which feel great in the hand don't shoot all that well. Glocks sort of work for me, they aren't my favorites, the trigger is meh, and the gen 3 examples are generally accurate enough to shoot A zones, but not exactly target pistols.

On the other hand my out of state friends with gen 5 examples mostly really like their Glocks and shoot them really well. And that's the core of the problem for us in California; courtesy of DOJ and the general assembly, we're stuck with gen 3. We also can't get a lot of those more feature rich alternatives that Chris talks about, at least not without paying exorbitant prices, so it's partially a moot point... although it's getting better as more things make the roster.

But that's not always the answer either, and this is where I'm going to be a little out of the mainstream. As an example, I have a PDP and I like it; the trigger is excellent, it's optics ready, it's easy to shoot accurately. It's also too chunky to easily conceal, and I have no interest in using a pistol with a 4-lb trigger for carry. For me, for my use case, that's unsafe-level too light. So, as striker fired triggers race to be even lighter and smoother, I'm moving away from striker fired pistols. They're fine for competition or for the range, which is where I use the PDP. They're not fine for carry under some of the circumstances that are common for me, which include among other things uneven terrain and sketchy footing on backcountry mountain trails.

So it's not that I'm done with Glocks, it's more like I'm going to wait and see what happens with the V models and maybe with gen 6. No hurry on that, I'll let others be the beta testers. It's not like I have a ton of choice anyway, right now we don't even know if or when we'll get either in California. Maybe I'll even sell the G34, if prices keep going up.

End result is I'm back to my hammer fired HK's for carry, never completely stopped using them, but for a while I'm not buying anything new and shiny and will just focus on tried and true and very reliable things that I've had for a long time. They don't have all the latest fancy stuff but that's OK. I still drive an older truck too, because I want a reliable vehicle not a rolling entertainment center that costs a ton extra for all that fancy stuff. The answer may be different for others, because we each have our own unique needs and desires.
 
I don’t understand the need to change anything. If you can’t shoot, you can’t shoot. If you can, a Glock works great.
This is how it's always been. People who complain or have grievances about the design/lack of features usually can't shoot very well. Shooting is shooting.
 
Interesting, I find the people trying to gatekeep and judge others based on their preference to be even worse shooters. I of course have no data on this because I made it up, just like you did.
 
Back
Top Bottom