18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Honest Outlaw (Chris) is "Done With Glocks" - What About You?

I recall (probably you) this being mentioned before, I do agree this sounds like a better way to do it. Go to know/be reminded though because S&W metal is on my radar.
Ha it probably was me, I'm sure many people have opinions on the system but I like it and still use the OEM plates on two slides. I can also recommend the 5" slide, it's noticibly different.
 
My G19 isn't going nowhere. That said, after replacing the sights, the magazine release button, the connector, the slide stop lever, and the takedown lever, I got it to where it was subtly but noticeably improved. I also fitted with with an Afterburner/Ramjet that I've gotten fond of, though this was before the 19C was available on-roster.

That said, I'm not interested in acquiring another Glock pistol at this time for the current prices. Glock releasing the 19V and 17V with no optic mounting system, plastic sights, no porting, no modular grip adjustments, and the same texture/grip ergos is crazy work.

IMO, all of Chris' points in his video are absolutely valid.
 
Interesting, I find the people trying to gatekeep and judge others based on their preference to be even worse shooters. I of course have no data on this because I made it up, just like you did.
Feature creep. Ornamentation. Overcompensation. Cargo cult.

Well known in engineering…and every other field.
 
The only thing they have going for them is their name and reliability, but plenty of other guns are just as reliable. HO's video was spot on. Glock should innovate but if they're still selling a boatload of guns, then they have nothing forcing a change.
 
I just put a deposit down on the DY9 https://derya.us/dy9/ which turners is selling for 299.99.. The slide are suppose to be Glock gen 4 and they take Glock mags. At turners they said that they have lots of inventory coming in and they will be able to sell that inventory through June 2026. If you want to purchase a non cali slide and barrel LCI that will set you back about $170.00.. They have a ported barrel slide assembly that which is an interesting option. https://derya.us/dy9-island-barrel-complete-upper/
 
Can't say i disagree with him. The best statement from him was something to the effect that if you're rocking a Glock on your hip today, you probably haven't shot any other guns.
This right here. I know some who wanted to buy their first handgun and all they wanted was a Glock because that’s all they read about or their friends had one.

I personally don’t care for them although I have a g20 that’s single purpose outdoors gun. I like 1911s and bought Canik tp9 couple years ago that I really like. I’ll probably sell the g20 and get an sig 220 in 10mm though.
 
Interesting, I find the people trying to gatekeep and judge others based on their preference to be even worse shooters. I of course have no data on this because I made it up, just like you did.
It's not gatekeeping. Many people miss the point of why the Glock is an adequate tool for most applications in it's price range. You can certainly purchase whatever you want, but to call it antiquated to it's competitors is just false. We could say everyone grips differently, but it doesn't change the fact that fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you shoot USPSA, then you would concur to perform at a high level it is not dependent on the gun. You're more than welcome to share your PractiScore results if you feel inclined to argue the focus is wrong here.


Above is how well Chris (Honest Outlaw) performs at a match. Are we really putting weight in a guy who shoots like 💩?
 
Last edited:
It's not gatekeeping. Many people miss the point of why the Glock is an adequate tool for most applications in it's price range. You can certainly purchase whatever you want, but to call it antiquated to it's competitors is just false. We could say everyone grips differently, but it doesn't change the fact that fundamentals are fundamentals.

If you shoot USPSA, then you would concur to perform at a high level it is not dependent on the gun. You're more than welcome to share your PractiScore results if you feel inclined to argue the focus is wrong here.
I think you may be confused, I never called it antiquated to competitors, I'm not sure why you said that. I'm literally just responding to the guy that said if you want more than what a Glock offers than you suck at shooting. I said why I don't like Glocks, because they literally cut my hand open and I hate the trigger feel, and was told I must suck at shooting. I do shoot uspsa though and I can tell you that while a bunch of people shoot Glocks, I've never met one without customization so clearly in a competitive environment, merely taking the bare minimum that Glock offers is not enough for anyone. I have no issue with someone liking Glocks, my best friend who I shoot uspsa with all the time shoots a Glock, Its dumb if Glock guys try to passive aggressively criticize people that want to shoot a different platform for very real reasons.
 
I think you may be confused, I never called it antiquated to competitors, I'm not sure why you said that. I'm literally just responding to the guy that said if you want more than what a Glock offers than you suck at shooting. I said why I don't like Glocks, because they literally cut my hand open and I hate the trigger feel, and was told I must suck at shooting. I do shoot uspsa though and I can tell you that while a bunch of people shoot Glocks, I've never met one without customization so clearly in a competitive environment, merely taking the bare minimum that Glock offers is not enough for anyone. I have no issue with someone liking Glocks, my best friend who I shoot uspsa with all the time shoots a Glock, Its dumb if Glock guys try to passive aggressively criticize people that want to shoot a different platform for very real reasons.
The other guy is extreme in his view, but the base argument does hold truth. In your case, it doesn't work for you cause of the ergos and that's a perfectly valid reason, but that's certainly not specific to Glock and I'm confident in saying that's probably not an issue for most people which the Glock serves.

I think it's fine to modify a gun the way that it fits you, but this is the part that gets away from most people and a reliable gun becomes unreliable. In that same vein, I don't think I've ever met anyone shooting ANY gun at a match that wasn't modified to their desire. I couldn't name you a single person in our local circles that shoots an out of the box configuration, let alone well. However, it's important to reiterate the point I was trying to make which is the focus on gear isn't the answer to most peoples problem with performing.

That's what I meant about fundamentals are fundamentals. Glocks aren't anything special, but if you look at how prevalent they are, then it's an important data point to consider when talking about reliability, availability, and price to performance. I'm all for cool guns and shooting what you like, but the efficacy of it's features or lack thereof usually aren't points of contention for performance metrics.
 
The other guy is extreme in his view, but the base argument does hold truth. In your case, it doesn't work for you cause of the ergos and that's a perfectly valid reason, but that's certainly not specific to Glock and I'm confident in saying that's probably not an issue for most people which the Glock serves.

I think it's fine to modify a gun the way that it fits you, but this is the part that gets away from most people and a reliable gun becomes unreliable. In that same vein, I don't think I've ever met anyone shooting ANY gun at a match that wasn't modified to their desire. I couldn't name you a single person in our local circles that shoots an out of the box configuration, let alone well. However, it's important to reiterate the point I was trying to make which is the focus on gear isn't the answer to most peoples problem with performing.

That's what I meant about fundamentals are fundamentals. Glocks aren't anything special, but if you look at how prevalent they are, then it's an important data point to consider when talking about reliability, availability, and price to performance. I'm all for cool guns and shooting what you like, but the efficacy of it's features or lack thereof usually aren't points of contention for performance metrics.
I agree with everything you wrote here
 
'Glocks aren't anything special'. Anymore. Glocks aren't special anymore.

That seems to be the biggest complaint here. Glock was revolutionary. Now it fell behind competition.
 
I THINK I agree with him as well, but there too many big words so I can't be sure.
I think he is saying:

Nothing wrong with glocks
Nothing wrong with not liking Glocks for any reason whether its that they take DNA sample from the web of your hand every shot or if you think they look like a gun a toddler assembled with legos.
Features of Glock competitors aren’t what make you a better shooter.
 
I think he is saying:

Nothing wrong with glocks
Nothing wrong with not liking Glocks for any reason whether its that they take DNA sample from the web of your hand every shot or if you think they look like a gun a toddler assembled with legos.
Features of Glock competitors aren’t what make you a better shooter.
TLDR:

You can't buy skill. We all suck.
 
A Glock is a "you know what you're going to get" type of gun. Nothing fancy or special about it. It's just a striker fired gun that doesn't need too much caretaking and just works. Can also be considered a blank canvas to do almost whatever you want with it given the aftermarket support. I think people get too caught up with Glock's lack of innovation or how outdated their designs are. I mean, sure, they lack innovation and nothing seems terribly different between generations. If that upsets you, just go to another manufacturer. Even in CA, we still get decent choices like the 2.0, PDP, Echelon, and others.
 
Last edited:
Don't care what some guy on Youtube says, I trust my Glocks to do their job and last my entire life (and my future grandkids) without worry.

I have my M&P, CZ and Springfield, but I like my Glocks since they have less parts to fail, the polymer coated mags won't rust as easily and third party support is endless. My Glock mags fit in my Ruger PC carbine and if I felt like buying a Staccato/ Platypus 2011, they accept Glock mags as well so I'll be good.

Parts are also usually more abundant and cheaper than the other brands as well, although with that stupid AB1263 being put into place...I guess that won't matter anymore 🤦‍♂️
 
Last edited:
Quite an interesting video; Chris discusses his long history and love affair with Glock and why believes the end is near for Glock as we know it.

Do you agree?

Aside from a DY9 purchase, I've only had police trade-in quality Glock models and they've still ran great

- MSRP is reasonable for most people
- availability of parts both OEM and aftermarket
- availability of magazines both OEM and aftermarket
- wide availability of holster options
- ease of use, no annoying CA compliant features

Sucks to see Gen 3 models go off the roster effective 01/01/26 but it is what is in this state.
 
For California, the Gen 3 Glocks were about as good as it gets for defensive handguns. I wanted to move on to something better, so I tried the PDP, but it’s too bulky, has a high bore axis, and comes with a non removable MDM.

I also tried the M&P 2.0. It’s a solid strike fire, but the external safety is an eyesore, and I would never remove it on a carry gun after hearing about prosecutors using modifications as evidence in self defense cases.

I’m waiting to try the Echelon, and maybe that will win me over. Until then, I stick with my Glocks. I’ve modified them with night sights, stippling, and optic cuts, but my Bill drill groupings are surgical, and if I hear a bump in the night, the only pistol I trust to get me to my rifle is a Glock.
 
Don't care what some guy on Youtube says, I trust my Glocks to do their job and last my entire life (and my future grandkids) without worry.

I have my M&P, CZ and Springfield, but I like my Glocks since they have less parts to fail, the polymer coated mags won't rust as easily and third party support is endless. My Glock mags fit in my Ruger PC carbine and if I felt like buying a Staccato/ Platypus 2011, they accept Glock mags as well so I'll be good.

Parts are also usually more abundant and cheaper than the other brands as well, although with that stupid AB1263 being put into place...I guess that won't matter anymore 🤦‍♂️
Firing pin, recoil springs all need to eventually be changed out if you do go for a lifetime.. ;) I’ve seen those eventually give over prolonged use.. Otherwise, they are as solid as a firearm gets.
 
Firing pin, recoil springs all need to eventually be changed out if you do go for a lifetime.. ;) I’ve seen those eventually give over prolonged use.. Otherwise, they are as solid as a firearm gets.
And if you're stock piling firing pins, add in a Firing Pin Channel Liner for each. A couple of trigger return springs wouldn't hurt, either.
 
Back
Top Bottom