18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Is springfield Prodigy a keeper?

Edit: nm I can't read, sorry
Had me running to the CADoJ roster list for new additions unfortunately I did not see it but the Echelon was added but still no cool modularity and caliber exchange support like the p320
 

got it! Thank you for the useful info. I will plan to visit 2Azone in Riverside before I contact wojetek, hopefully I'll be able to move forward with a deal
Yeah price compare but Wojetek cheaper in long run even with shipping and transfer fees as NH doesn’t charge sales taxes and avoid the 11% and I can’t say it but he does some magic on his end that I can’t discuss openly that saves us even more money and makes Bonta and Newsom rage fit with his workarounds lol
 
I got my 4.25" Prodigy PPT for 2.2k. The previous owner had already put in an EGW ignition kit and Red Dirt trigger, so it ran beautifully. Of course I took it apart and polished everything I could to make it super buttery smooth. The factory mim parts were actually fine, I polished them too and ran them for a bit for comparison before putting all the EGW stuff back in. I also swapped out the grip module for a full aluminum Gen 1 grip from Warwick tactical, and a comp from underworld arms. The gun shoots super flat and I've only had problems while using the comp and forgetting to swap to a lighter recoil spring.

I will say though that If I had the money, id go to 2a and get a watch tower apache. But the prodigy is still a great gun regardless.

image0.jpeg
 
Yeah, forgot to mention that there's a good chance that you can find something that's already had the MIM parts replaced, seeing as it's common knowledge that this is the guns achilles heel. Nice looking gun, by the way.
 
Hi all,
I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to entry level 2011/1911DS platform, but I do love to own one.
I know it is the hype with 2011s nowadays and a wide variety of guns to choose from, but man, I don't have that much of a budget to spend $4k - 5k on a decent 2011. Even a prodigy is already makes my heart pumping harder with CApremium prices.

Do you think Prodigy is a good entry one to keep? And does anyone know if they are trying to make the roster?😢
I have a Prodigy, it was my first 2011. I picked it up a couple years ago for $2300 and it included an SRO, so I didn’t get worked over too badly. It’s a good gun and I compete in Limited Optics with it. It shoots straight, I have had zero failures in approximately 15k rounds. The only upgrades I have done so far is an EGW magwell and a Dawson tooless guide rod. It’s fit and finish is not on par with high end guns but its performance a step up from Glocks and P320s (My opinion is based on owning and competing with both)

I do have a Limcat open gun and have shot a couple matches with a Limcat Wildcat Tracker, so I have experience with the good stuff. To be honest, I am not good enough to take advantage of what the Wildcat can do, so I am not ready to upgrade to one of those. The open gun is a different story, that sucker feels like I’m cheating.

I am planning on upgrading the Prodigy this year to see what it can do. The list will include a steel grip module, pinned grip safety, shielded thumb safeties, frame mounted thumb rest, Atlas fire control group and a goofy-ass Cerakote job.
 
Last edited:
I have a prodigy and it had ALL the issues for the first like 1000 rounds. Sent it in to SA and ran some more through it. Runs like a champ now. Only issue is that you'll get the 2011 bug bad. Already selling mine to get a higher end 2011. It's a good entry level gun, but there are competitors now. Mac 9 DS Comp is sick and only $900. I'd say get the Prodigy and you can trick it out how you like. Just have to get past the break in period.
 
I have a Prodigy, it was my first 2011. I picked it up a couple years ago for $2300 and it included an SRO, so I didn’t get worked over too badly. It’s a good gun and I compete in Limited Optics with it. It shoots straight, I have had zero failures in approximately 15k rounds. The only upgrades I have done so far is an EGW magwell and a Dawson tooless guide rod. It’s fit and finish is not on par with high end guns but its performance a step up from Glocks and P320s (My opinion is based on owning and competing with both)

I do have a Limcat open gun and have shot a couple matches with a Limcat Wildcat Tracker, so I have experience with the good stuff. To be honest, I am not good enough to take advantage of what the Wildcat can do, so I am not ready to upgrade to one of those. The open gun is a different story, that sucker feels like I’m cheating.

I am planning on upgrading the Prodigy this year to see what it can do. The list will include a steel grip module, pinned grip safety, shielded thumb safeties, frame mounted thumb rest, Atlas fire control group and a goofy-ass Cerakote job.
Man, a limcat is not typical type to see everyday anymore
 
I have a Prodigy, it was my first 2011. I picked it up a couple years ago for $2300 and it included an SRO, so I didn’t get worked over too badly. It’s a good gun and I compete in Limited Optics with it. It shoots straight, I have had zero failures in approximately 15k rounds. The only upgrades I have done so far is an EGW magwell and a Dawson tooless guide rod. It’s fit and finish is not on par with high end guns but its performance a step up from Glocks and P320s (My opinion is based on owning and competing with both)

I do have a Limcat open gun and have shot a couple matches with a Limcat Wildcat Tracker, so I have experience with the good stuff. To be honest, I am not good enough to take advantage of what the Wildcat can do, so I am not ready to upgrade to one of those. The open gun is a different story, that sucker feels like I’m cheating.

I am planning on upgrading the Prodigy this year to see what it can do. The list will include a steel grip module, pinned grip safety, shielded thumb safeties, frame mounted thumb rest, Atlas fire control group and a goofy-ass Cerakote job.
I think I should give the prodigy a try then. I have been scouting the internet to find a better deal, hence the CA premium price. I appreciate your comment!
 
I have a prodigy and it had ALL the issues for the first like 1000 rounds. Sent it in to SA and ran some more through it. Runs like a champ now. Only issue is that you'll get the 2011 bug bad. Already selling mine to get a higher end 2011. It's a good entry level gun, but there are competitors now. Mac 9 DS Comp is sick and only $900. I'd say get the Prodigy and you can trick it out how you like. Just have to get past the break in period.
I was looking at other alternatives such as sasilmaz, tisas, and Mac (i personally love MAC since I have the mp5k clone), but of course all of them is not on roster and is impossible to find
 
Man, a limcat is not typical type to see everyday anymore
For the record, my buddies brand new, custom Limcat open gun has been back to the shop more than a few times. Because of what he paid for it, he still insists that it's a great gun. And maybe it is -- when it works. For me, solid pass. On the other hand, my Atlas has been back to the shop a total of zero times after shooting at least four seasons of limited division. Only issue was a broken rear sight adjustment screw that unfortunately happened during NAZC.
 
I see, it sucks for having such a stupid roster as I was scouting for other options like those Turkish made Tissas, Sasilmaz. Also 2A zone is too far away
I would hold out. Wouldn't be surprised if SA made a California version of the Prodigy as they just announced the Echelon today.
 
They're.... okay. It's not like a super luxury one but it's not horrible. I had a v2 regular one and it was so so. Primary complaint was the small slide release and gritty mag release. Some that got a new comp'd one and it's not bad. Same complaint with the slide release. But luckily that's a cheap easy fix with the parts out there. FWIW I just put the 5" comp up for sale here
 
2a Zone is in Upland, CA and they have another location in Riverside, CA as well. A few years ago b4 he opened his 1st store in Upland he was a home based FFL in Alta Loma and I used to be his UPS delivery driver up until the scamdemic which was the time they opened their upland location. Former CA resident Wojetek Armory in NH does a lot of SSE work that I’ve used a couple of times and at better prices, even with shipping. I know in talking to Nate a couple weeks ago he has started a working partnership with The Arms Sommelier in Chino, CA. Wojetek prices are great and his middleman service is great as well and very well priced to the other guys who offer the same and he actually answers the phone, txt and emails in rapid time compared to the others that offer middleman services. Sorry went a little off topic there and didn’t mean to highjack but give him a ring he can do just about anything off roster for sse. Sorry no Staccato since nobody does sse for those.
Where the heck have I been! SSE still lives?? I need to look into this.
 
Where the heck have I been! SSE still lives?? I need to look into this.
Sort of. Under the new SSE, guns must be originally manufactured as single-shot firearms. Local dealers cannot convert semiautomatic guns to single shot, but you can convert a single shot gun to a semiauto. I bought a new Stealth Arms Platypus that way a while back.
 
Back
Top Bottom