18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • šŸ“¢ Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Is the Walter PDP here yet?

Just picked up my compact, they've even made it up to Humboldt :)

Ordered my one free optics plate the day I did DROS, it arrived in the mail a couple days ago. Eight days total. The good news, it's steel. It does have a small bit of slop though which is a little disappointing.

Trigger pull is about 4 lbs with a crisp break and a nice short reset. Apparently the mag disconnect has little or no effect on trigger pull quality. Since I'm leaving this pistol stock except for taller sights and an optic, I don't really care about the disconnect, no need to mess with it. If anything 4 lbs is a little light for carry.

The pistol weighs 21.4 oz empty, which exactly matches Walther's online specs for the 4-inch compact. Not sure how they held that with the CA compliant version given the extra mag disconnect parts. With an empty mag it comes in at exactly 24 oz, which is .4 less than the published specs. Maybe the polymer base of the 10-round magazine is lighter.

It's not really any chunkier than my USP compact.

Headed to the range tonight, more after that.
 
Range report: The PDP compact is a sweet shooter, although it takes a little bit to get used to it. As described elsewhere, it's a fast recoil pulse, but it comes right back on target very quickly. I did need to adjust my grip slightly, the takedown catch was rubbing against the side of my support hand thumb in a not good way until I made that slight adjustment. I don't care for the OEM sights, although a set of Ameriglo GL-429's are already on the way and should be here day after tomorrow... so didn't bother to adjust tonight for the two-inch left POI (the rear sight was slightly off center out of the box). Shot 100 rounds, completely reliable, no issues. These were mostly some relatively warm 135gr TC coated reloads, plus a few AE147 and AE124 FMJ.

Early impression is that it's an easy pistol to shoot relatively accurately and it wants to go fast... couldn't do that tonight, but later I'll get to the outdoor range where I can work from the holster at various distances. The trigger is excellent. The 10-round mags are easy to load full. Still need to order a dot. Have not had time to try different backstraps yet. It's a little different feel than anything in my recent experience (mostly HK, Glock) and may take a little experimentation to get the most out of it.
 
Range report: The PDP compact is a sweet shooter, although it takes a little bit to get used to it. As described elsewhere, it's a fast recoil pulse, but it comes right back on target very quickly. I did need to adjust my grip slightly, the takedown catch was rubbing against the side of my support hand thumb in a not good way until I made that slight adjustment. I don't care for the OEM sights, although a set of Ameriglo GL-429's are already on the way and should be here day after tomorrow... so didn't bother to adjust tonight for the two-inch left POI (the rear sight was slightly off center out of the box). Shot 100 rounds, completely reliable, no issues. These were mostly some relatively warm 135gr TC coated reloads, plus a few AE147 and AE124 FMJ.

Early impression is that it's an easy pistol to shoot relatively accurately and it wants to go fast... couldn't do that tonight, but later I'll get to the outdoor range where I can work from the holster at various distances. The trigger is excellent. The 10-round mags are easy to load full. Still need to order a dot. Have not had time to try different backstraps yet. It's a little different feel than anything in my recent experience (mostly HK, Glock) and may take a little experimentation to get the most out of it.
Nice. Theres no reason for anyone to spend more than what the PDP costs on a gen 3 Glock.
 
Just swapped backstraps, and it turns out that anything but the medium works better for me. Ended up going with the large backstrap because it gives me just the right amount of room for getting my support hand on the grip texture, and it also moves my thumb off the spot that was abrading. The pistol now indexes better for me also. The small would have worked too, in a different way, but didn't feel quite as solid as the large. Something about the medium was just proportionally off for my hands though. Large glove size.

Got a notification that my new sights have arrived a day early, so off to the post office. This afternoon I'll be replacing the plastic dovetail protectors.
 
Just swapped backstraps, and it turns out that anything but the medium works better for me. Ended up going with the large backstrap because it gives me just the right amount of room for getting my support hand on the grip texture, and it also moves my thumb off the spot that was abrading. The pistol now indexes better for me also. The small would have worked too, in a different way, but didn't feel quite as solid as the large. Something about the medium was just proportionally off for my hands though. Large glove size.

Got a notification that my new sights have arrived a day early, so off to the post office. This afternoon I'll be replacing the plastic dovetail protectors.

What optic did you decide on?
 
I'm going with the Vortex Defender ST enclosed, which is DPP footprint. Enclosed because I do a lot of backcountry carry.
Nice I’m very interested in trying one of those or the ccw version out, but don’t yet have a gun to put one on lol
 
I'm liking the look of that compact. I'll wait a bit regarding the removal of the mag disconnect. And possibly something to plug up that LCI.
Good opportunity to address those things.

First, I don't like to alter a carry pistol beyond sights/optics. In this case I'm not seeing the need. The disconnect doesn't seem to affect the trigger, I'm getting a 4lb pull which is already a little lighter than I'd like, and a nice crisp break and short reset. My only concern was if it would result in an over-complicated takedown, in part because the disconnect description in the California addendum manual is a mess. Someone transposed part of the text, so what happens with a mag in or out is partially reversed. If you've read it and it doesn't make sense, that's because... it really doesn't. If anyone with real-world experience had bothered to review that text it never would have made it out the door.

What's working for me so far is: With a mag in, lock the slide back, make sure the pistol is empty. Once clear, release the slide (slowly) forward, point the pistol at the ground/in a safe direction, and pull the trigger (same as with a Glock). So far we're pretty close to what Walther says. But after the trigger pull, I just drop the mag, pull down on the takedown catch, and pull the slide forward off the frame. No need to slightly pull the slide back as with a Glock, it just comes right off without that extra step. Very simple, the only extra is dropping the mag mid process. If I'm missing anything perhaps someone will let us know, but it is working.

The LCI isn't visible with the taller sights I just installed, and will be even less so once an optic is installed. There was no evidence of blowback residue on the top of the slide after 100 rounds last night, will keep an eye on that going forward. I don't really care for top-mounted LCI's, but at least Walther did this one tastefully, the "loaded when up" text is a mid-tone color of modest size and not the glaring deep-engraved and white filled text that some others have used. Yes, we know coffee may be hot, and to always treat all guns as if they are loaded and clear them again.
 
Good opportunity to address those things.

First, I don't like to alter a carry pistol beyond sights/optics. In this case I'm not seeing the need. The disconnect doesn't seem to affect the trigger, I'm getting a 4lb pull which is already a little lighter than I'd like, and a nice crisp break and short reset. My only concern was if it would result in an over-complicated takedown, in part because the disconnect description in the California addendum manual is a mess. Someone transposed part of the text, so what happens with a mag in or out is partially reversed. If you've read it and it doesn't make sense, that's because... it really doesn't. If anyone with real-world experience had bothered to review that text it never would have made it out the door.

What's working for me so far is: With a mag in, lock the slide back, make sure the pistol is empty. Once clear, release the slide (slowly) forward, point the pistol at the ground/in a safe direction, and pull the trigger (same as with a Glock). So far we're pretty close to what Walther says. But after the trigger pull, I just drop the mag, pull down on the takedown catch, and pull the slide forward off the frame. No need to slightly pull the slide back as with a Glock, it just comes right off without that extra step. Very simple, the only extra is dropping the mag mid process. If I'm missing anything perhaps someone will let us know, but it is working.

The LCI isn't visible with the taller sights I just installed, and will be even less so once an optic is installed. There was no evidence of blowback residue on the top of the slide after 100 rounds last night, will keep an eye on that going forward. I don't really care for top-mounted LCI's, but at least Walther did this one tastefully, the "loaded when up" text is a mid-tone color of modest size and not the glaring deep-engraved and white filled text that some others have used. Yes, we know coffee may be hot, and to always treat all guns as if they are loaded and clear them again.
My buddy got the full size PDP, I'll mooch and shoot his first before I decide. I got enough full size pistols.
 
I picked up my full size in NorCal this past week. So far so good. Shot 200 rounds and will shoot more to see how I feel.
 
Back
Top Bottom