18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

S&W Bodyguard 2.0 Non-Comp Quick Range Report

Ask Smith & Wesson why they make a comped version of the BG 2.0. Ask Radian why they make a ramjet and afterhurner for the P365.

Why modify a gun at all?
I’ve used only factory versions my entire life. Even now, here in California, I try to steer clear of any modifications. Factory versions are created by engineers. Modifications by marketers…🤗
 
I just picked up the non-comp Bodyguard 2.0 and hit the range.

Before the first round:
  • Worked the slide a few dozen times, did a very basic cleaning and oiled the usual spots.
  • No stiffness or looseness observed, sights visually centered (to naked eyes), thumb safety stiff.
Ammo:
  • 100 rounds of New Republic training & range FMJ, 95 grain
  • 20 rounds of Federal Punch HP, 85 grain (this was the only ammo the shop had)

Observations:
  • No shooting left that I could detect, even at 20 yards.
  • Operation was very smooth. (other than the thumb safety, see below)
  • Handling and ergo were great with my small hands. (glove size SM)
  • I’m LH so I didn’t really spend time using the slide release lever, but it could be done. In the world of righties we live in, I say this model is totally lefty friendly.
  • Mag release worked fine with the stock RH config, never accidentally released the mag, I'll likely flip to LH, but can be used as-is.
  • Recoil was not an issue at all. I did a bunch of single hand and weak side single hand with zero discomfort.
  • Rear sight notch is darn wide, but I think it does the job for the intended defensive use.
  • Thumb safety has broken in somewhat. Engaging is still hard, but I can disengage with my shooting hand thumb no problem.
  • I like that you can rack the slide while the safety is engaged. You can prep everything with the safety on right up till the moment you shoot.
  • FMJ had zero issue.
  • BG2.0 didn’t like the Federal HP, failed to feed several times (this was after 100 rounds of FMJ, the feed ramp didn’t have any obvious bump etc)

My personal takeaway:

I think, for my intended use, I made the right decision to go with the non-comp model. I know it’s not that much of a difference, but I like the absolute minimum weight and size package. Shooting experience was very smooth and I didn’t think it was snappy at all, and I don’t think I need a comp to make it marginally milder. If you like the aesthetics of the comp model, and/or you are really really reeaally recoil sensitive, it's great that we have a choice to pick up the CC model. For me, this is good. Interestingly, I didn’t have the infamous sight misalignment issue. I’m sure the sights could be improved with an aftermarket pair, but for my intended purpose, I think I’ll keep the stock ones. BG2.0 is definitely picky about non FMJ ammo. I’ll put another 100 rounds of FMJ, fully clean the gun, and try another box of Federal, but I don’t think it’s the right ammo for this gun. I’ll be picking up some Underwood Extreme Defender or something similar to test next.
Nice report. The BG line has always liked ball ammo. My 1.0 won’t feed anything else. Finicky with HP and absolutely HATED the underwood flat nose stuff. It liked PMC bronze fmj the best so that’s what it holds to this day. At the end of the day a .380 is just a “get away from me” gun, not a combat gun, so any type of ammo will do. I definitely love the 2.0. Such an awesome little shooter. My wife is in love with it. Happy shooting!
 
Still waiting for more defensive rounds, but I had another range day.

Federal Punch: BG2.0 really doesn't like this ammo. FTF a lot.
Sig V-Crown 365: very 1st rack didn't feed, but afterwards went without any FTF for a box of 20.
Winchester flat nose training FMJ: zero issue of any kind.
No issues with New Republic and Fiocchi round FMJs.

Since Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot got a rounded profile, I'm hoping they'll go in like the Winchester. I'll be trying them out as well as Critical Defense and Xtreme Defender hopefully next week. If I find a trouble-free ammo, I'll be getting some extra boxes of that to be really sure before BG2.0 gets the EDC spot. Also getting Galloway guide rod assembly although currently I'm not experiencing any issues with the recoil spring.

The biggest con of the BG2.0 is still remaining the same -- or rather, getting worse: My all other guns feel absolutely HUGE.
 
Last edited:
Still waiting for more defensive rounds, but I had another range day.

Federal Punch: BG2.0 really doesn't like this ammo. FTE a lot.
Sig V-Crown 365: very 1st rack didn't feed, but afterwards went without any FTE for a box of 20.
Winchester flat nose training FMJ: zero issue of any kind.
No issues with New Republic and Fiocchi round FMJs.

Since Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot got a rounded profile, I'm hoping they'll go in like the Winchester. I'll be trying them out as well as Critical Defense and Xtreme Defender hopefully next week. If I find a trouble-free ammo, I'll be getting some extra boxes of that to be really sure before BG2.0 gets the EDC spot. Also getting Galloway guide rod assembly although currently I'm not experiencing any issues with the recoil spring.

The biggest con of the BG2.0 is still remaining the same -- or rather, getting worse: My all other guns feel absolutely HUGE.

Great range report, and hilarious closing line. Thanks!
 
Still waiting for more defensive rounds, but I had another range day.

Federal Punch: BG2.0 really doesn't like this ammo. FTF a lot.
Sig V-Crown 365: very 1st rack didn't feed, but afterwards went without any FTF for a box of 20.
Winchester flat nose training FMJ: zero issue of any kind.
No issues with New Republic and Fiocchi round FMJs.

Since Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot got a rounded profile, I'm hoping they'll go in like the Winchester. I'll be trying them out as well as Critical Defense and Xtreme Defender hopefully next week. If I find a trouble-free ammo, I'll be getting some extra boxes of that to be really sure before BG2.0 gets the EDC spot. Also getting Galloway guide rod assembly although currently I'm not experiencing any issues with the recoil spring.

The biggest con of the BG2.0 is still remaining the same -- or rather, getting worse: My all other guns feel absolutely HUGE.
I shot a box of Speer gold dot yesterday, feeds well.

I didnt realize how dirty .380 ACP runs, was cleaning today and my mag disconnect fell off, couldn’t find it in my messy garage 🤷‍♂️.
 
Qualifications are not always at the distance bg 2.0 intended for. LA county is only 7 yards, which is fine. Other counties 15 or 25 yards
I don't understand what kind of qualification you're referring to. If it's for CCW, then shoot at 25 yards with a good CZ75 pistol. Register that one and two others later, including the BG2.0.
 
At least for SFPD, you have to do live fire test per firearm, which includes 25 yards (like, you should be defending yourself 25 yards away in the city). I did it with my BG2.0, including 25 yards, grouping within 4 inches vertically and 8 inches horizontally (blaming the wide rear sight).
 
Last edited:
You’d say that their marksman had never fired a shot in the city beyond 100 yards in the entire history of the SFPD. But then they wouldn’t have accepted the test. 😁
 
I don't understand what kind of qualification you're referring to. If it's for CCW, then shoot at 25 yards with a good CZ75 pistol. Register that one and two others later, including the BG2.0.
You have to qualify with all guns you want to list on ccw permit. At least in LA county.
I believe we have one of the easiest requirements :
24 rounds from main gun at 3,5 and 7 yards. Every additional gun 10 rounds at 5 and 7. I think Riverside county 5, 10 and 15. Alameda county up to 25 yards
 
At least for SFPD, you have to do live fire test per firearm, which includes 25 yards (like, you should be defending yourself 25 yards away in the city). I did it with my BG2.0, including 25 yards, grouping within 4 inches vertically and 8 inches horizontally (blaming the wide rear sight).
I don’t think I can hit 8” target with bg at 25 yards . Thats ridiculous , 25 yards isn’t self defense distance. How one can even argue self defense shooting someone at that distance
 
You have to qualify with all guns you want to list on ccw permit. At least in LA county.
I believe we have one of the easiest requirements :
24 rounds from main gun at 3,5 and 7 yards. Every additional gun 10 rounds at 5 and 7. I think Riverside county 5, 10 and 15. Alameda county up to 25 yards
Thanks! That’s very interesting. I didn’t know that.
 
I don’t think I can hit 8” target with bg at 25 yards . Thats ridiculous , 25 yards isn’t self defense distance. How one can even argue self defense shooting someone at that distance
I think that depends on your environment and the situation. Your average or local supermarket aisle is probably longer than 25 yards. It’s a long and relatively narrow corridor you can’t just jump over/through and might end up in situations where you can clearly see your attacker and not have the option to run away in time and have no cover or means of moving erratically given the confines of the space. Other situations like that exist so I wouldn’t rule out those distances altogether. It’s like everything else - highly situational.
 
I think that depends on your environment and the situation. Your average or local supermarket aisle is probably longer than 25 yards. It’s a long and relatively narrow corridor you can’t just jump over/through and might end up in situations where you can clearly see your attacker and not have the option to run away in time and have no cover or means of moving erratically given the confines of the space. Other situations like that exist so I wouldn’t rule out those distances altogether. It’s like everything else - highly situational.
I guess I’ll regret having only bg 2.0 on myself in situation like that
 
Back
Top Bottom