18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Thread Crapping on listings.. Vote!

Take a survey

Do you want to allow thread crapping on listings?

  • Yes - should be able to comment on price

    Votes: 59 32.2%
  • No - No comments on price

    Votes: 84 45.9%
  • Emojis ftw! -💩🍆👍

    Votes: 40 21.9%

  • Total voters
    183
  • Poll closed .
If emojis are going to be the only tool we are given to warn our fellow gun owners that they are getting bum-hunted by greedy people looking for uninformed buyers then we need a buyer beware emoji or something like that. That should be the very least. Buyers don't become informed with emojis.
It’s not the only tool, you can search sold listings too. You can also use Google or ask in the forum or look up msrp. There’s actually a lot of tools. Most forums do not allow thread crapping.
 
It’s not the only tool, you can search sold listings too. You can also use Google or ask in the forum or look up msrp. There’s actually a lot of tools. Most forums do not allow thread crapping.
If we can't comment then yes, emojis are the only other way users can communicate/warn each other that they are being targeted as an uninformed buyer. All the tools you listed are something a buyer would do for themselves. So emojis are our only tool if we don't have comments.

Are we allowed to comment with comps at least? or sold listings? or is that considered thread crapping?
 
Here is a very obvious example of why letting us respond with emojis only is a bad idea. Only comments like this will be allowed which is clearly deceptive. This user has gone around to multiple SP-01 listings that are 3x or more and are saying that its a "good deal".

Either we allow comments on pricing or we don't. This is just going to lead to people fake boosting their overpriced posts which is probably what is going on here.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-01-15 at 9.27.49 AM.png
    Screenshot 2025-01-15 at 9.27.49 AM.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 7
Here is a very obvious example of why letting us respond with emojis only is a bad idea. Only comments like this will be allowed which is clearly deceptive. This user has gone around to multiple SP-01 listings that are 3x or more and are saying that its a "good deal".

Either we allow comments on pricing or we don't. This is just going to lead to people fake boosting their overpriced posts which is probably what is going on here.
LOL what the hell?

I wonder if the post and the comment are coming from the same IP address...
 
LOL what the hell?

I wonder if the post and the comment are coming from the same IP address...
I think that user is just enthusiastic about price gouging, which is worse. Here is them saying on a post of their own that if we don't like the price we can go complain on reddit about it (while commenting that $2400 for an SP-01 is a good deal). Looks like someone knows the system and is abusing it...
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-01-15 at 10.41.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2025-01-15 at 10.41.27 AM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
You should be able to comment in a respectful way on the price. If Im trying to sell a $500 shotgun for $800 on the marketplace I'd like someone to at least let me know I'm extremely high on the cost.
 
Either we allow comments on pricing or we don't. This is just going to lead to people fake boosting their overpriced posts which is probably what is going on here.
This goes against the vote which is close to 50/50. I don't think it's either or.

I'm not sure how you think it's going to boost posts but I will say any abuse is abuse and users will be warned if there's a pattern. One off's are ok but if the same user is going around on several, we'll put a warning out. People trying to game the system within the rules by testing us will be warned because of intent. The intent is not to say its a good deal, its to test the moderation which is not in good faith of the forum.

Users who do this overtly, may have the classifieds usage removed.
 
BTW. I banned a user who signed up solely to thread crap. We try to be flexible within reason, but we're human not robots, so some judgement calls will be made. I'm not trying to please everyone, but just want to maintain a good site with minimal moderation and rules in place to facilitate growth with minimal interference.

We need to make it easy for moderators to make decisions too. We still have some loose guidelines that we'll tighten up over time. Asking us to have rigid policies early on doesn't recognize the youthful nature of the site. There is some learning that needs to happen and mistakes along the way. In tech, we call this an error budget. We're allowed some mistakes since perfection doesn't exist.
 
This goes against the vote which is close to 50/50. I don't think it's either or.

I'm not sure how you think it's going to boost posts but I will say any abuse is abuse and users will be warned if there's a pattern. One off's are ok but if the same user is going around on several, we'll put a warning out. People trying to game the system within the rules by testing us will be warned because of intent. The intent is not to say its a good deal, its to test the moderation which is not in good faith of the forum.

Users who do this overtly, may have the classifieds usage removed.
You have 10,000 users - 183 voted.

I didn't mean "boosting" like getting better search results, I meant boosting in that someone is deceptively giving credence/legitimacy to a post by saying its a good deal when its not. Like for example when someone posts a CZ SP-01 for $2400 and the only comments allowed are ones saying its a "good deal".
 
You have 10,000 users - 183 voted.

I didn't mean "boosting" like getting better search results, I meant boosting in that someone is deceptively giving credence/legitimacy to a post by saying its a good deal when its not. Like for example when someone posts a CZ SP-01 for $2400 and the only comments allowed are ones saying its a "good deal".
Yep, it was a sample at the time.

This is always ongoing and it's always people who participate. You've reported it and it was removed, and the person who countered it banned.
 
BTW. I banned a user who signed up solely to thread crap. We try to be flexible within reason, but we're human not robots, so some judgement calls will be made. I'm not trying to please everyone, but just want to maintain a good site with minimal moderation and rules in place to facilitate growth with minimal interference.

We need to make it easy for moderators to make decisions too. We still have some loose guidelines that we'll tighten up over time. Asking us to have rigid policies early on doesn't recognize the youthful nature of the site. There is some learning that needs to happen and mistakes along the way. In tech, we call this an error budget. We're allowed some mistakes since perfection doesn't exist.
Why is someone allowed to fake it and say "Good price!" on a 3x, 4x, 5x listing while the rest of us have to just sit back and watch our fellow gun owners get taken advantage of and say nothing?

Again if this were a gun show and you saw someone about to get ripped off you wouldn't be allowed to say a thing. That's wrong.

Also I have read through this entire thread and I haven't seen one good justification for banning on comments on price in the first place (other than the .01% response rate poll, and "thats what other sites do"). I agree perfection is hard to get at this early stage, and you all are working hard, but it seems like you are working hard to protect the feelings of price gougers. I agree that effort could be much better spent.
 
Also I have read through this entire thread and I haven't seen one good justification for banning on comments on price in the first place (other than the .01% response rate poll, and "thats what other sites do"). I agree perfection is hard to get at this early stage, and you all are working hard, but it seems like you are working hard to protect the feelings of price gougers. I agree that effort could be much better spent.
You can use the emoji to show a high price. I'm redoing the emoji's but I have to create some new sprites, vector graphics and redraw them for use here. It's not super simple and I have other things I need to do.

If the comment "good price" is obviously wrong, it'll be removed. If it's a good deal it'll be left. People will report it and can use emoji's on the comment. People can then decide for themselves.

If the person banned reads this, you were banned for commenting on a few threads, plus your username shows your intent. Just use the emoji button and don't leave a comment on the price.
 
Is there any way to open the poll back up and leave it running? I was probably the loudest voice on here but missed the vote.
We’ll open it up again later. I have some things to work on this already and don’t need to double back on it. I’ve made some plans around this and I’m in progress on several fronts.

I have a lot of projects I’m working on as discussed in other threads. Stay tuned for them. I will say, supporters have more weight when it comes to suggestions. That’s not to say that comments go unheard, I’ve added a lot of things from free user requests but the priority is lower. If enough people talk about it then I’ll address it, but one or two persons speaking won’t change the current timelines. This on my radar so keep an eye out for the new sprites.

The red and green should say good or bad and people won’t comment about price and just use comments. We want the comments for actual discussion for the user and potential buyer

The new one should be $ that says - Money $
 
No. If someone wants a certain price, having someone crap on their thread about how they got a CZ Shadow for $500 last month, do it somewhere else, not on some guy's ad.
 
Back
Top Bottom